How to Visit Western Heights from the M2
1. The M2 south-bound finishes at Brenly Corner.
2. Take the A2 turning for Canterbury/Dover.
3. Stay on the A2 for about 20 miles until you get to a big roundabout with an Esso station on your left. This is Whitfield.
4. Take the second exit; this will be signed Sandwich and ferries. This is a continuation of the A2.
5. Again, keep going, for about 2 miles & you will get to a roundabout. On your right youll see another petrol station and a pub, The Duke of York.
6. Take the 2nd exit so youre going towards the ferries. Youll see the Radar masts on your left and soon, Dover Castle on your right.
7. Stay on this road and when you get to the bottom of the cliff (this takes you on a bridge over the ferry terminal), bear left and continue along the seafront.
8. Keep going. There will be 4 roundabouts. Go across the first 3, then right at the 4th. (Signed Aycliff & Western Heights).
At this last one you will have just gone past Archcliffe Fort on your left and AVO Megger Instruments on your right.
9. After youve gone right at the 4th roundabout you will need to turn right immediately, on a bend, and this will take you up South Military Road.
10. Go all the way up here (there are some V. tight bends), and when you get to the peak of the hill turn right into the car park.
11. St. Martins Battery is on the left of the car park.
12. Start exploring !